- n a quiet or hushed tone of voice
spoke in undertones
- n a subdued emotional quality underlying an utterance; implicit meaning
- n a pale or subdued color
- But never pink, which is the most common undertone in white skins and white makeup.
- It is, understandably, an explosive topic, one fraught with a blame-the-victim undertone that many people believe is thinly disguised racism.
- a demand, but with an undertone of real fear.
News & Articles
- Texas Football: 5 Biggest Challenges for Longhorns' Major Applewhite
Every college football season is a make-or-break year for someone. For the Texas Longhorns, who are in their third year of a rebuild, virtually every coach is on a hot seat. Co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite , who will assume play-calling duties in the post-Bryan Harsin era, was the lead man in installing an up-tempo undertone to the Texas offense, a switch that may make a big enough ...
June 9, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Fukushiro Nukaga in AFP
I think the steady undertone of the world economy remains unchanged,Nukaga told reporters.
- Vern Yip in WTOP
Think about orange with a brown undertone,Yip says. "It's more sophisticated, as opposed to the really saturated, bright orange."
- Lindsay Lohan in guardian.co.uk
She [Knightley] kind of has a mysterious relationship with my lover,Lohan told MTV. "And then there's somewhat of a lesbian undertone."