- n large carnivorous bipedal dinosaur having enormous teeth with knifelike serrations; may have been a scavenger rather than an active predator; later Cretaceous period in North America
- The discovery of the tyrannosaur is significant because that family of dinosaurs is believed to be among the closest relatives of modern birds.
- Here come a nosy tyrannosaur and a fan-faced, bilous dilophosaur.
- The male tyrannosaur roared in response.
- Paul Sereno in Science Daily (press release)
T-rex has become such a fixture of Cretaceous lore, most people don't realize that no tyrannosaur ever set foot on a southern continent,said Sereno.
- Xu Xing in Earthtimes.org
We initially thought it was from the same species we had discovered before, but minutes later we realized it was from a meat-eating dinosaur. This big size is very unusual for a meat-eater and only a tyrannosaur is of similar size, Dr Xing said.
- Spencer G. Lucas in CBS News
What we can learn right off is we've got to stop thinking the biggest things in these ecosystems were dinosaurs,Lucas said. "This thing was the same length and maybe the same weight as a tyrannosaur."