- n barbiturate that is a hygroscopic powder (trade name Pentothal) that is a strong barbiturate that acts rapidly; induces a relaxed state when injected as a general anesthetic
- The dose: two grams of the barbiturate sodium thiopental, about five times the amount given as an anesthetic before surgery.
- Pentothal Sodium (actually a trade name for thiopental sodium), like such related barbiturates as Amytal Sodium and Nembutal, is a depressant that loosens the tongue in much the .
- When a chubby killer named Richard Beavers got his lethal injection of sodium thiopental last week, the only noteworthy aspect of the event was its timing: late on the night of .
News & Articles
- Death-Penalty Drug Import Ruled Illegal by Appeals Court
A drug used in some U.S. executions, sodium thiopental, can’t be imported into the country because it hasn’t been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington ruled in a lawsuit filed by death row inmates.
July 23, 2013 - Bloomberg
- John Roberts in Bloomberg
The high court's controlling opinion, written by Chief Justice John Roberts, 53, said Kentucky "has put in place several important safeguards to ensure that an adequate dose of sodium thiopental is delivered to the condemned prisoner."