- n a sweetened delicacy (as a preserve or pastry)
- A large tax reduction would be a pleasing sweetmeat to offer a ravenous electorate just before voting day.
- Sebastian wrestled with Adler, pinned him to the mat, made him kneel for a sweetmeat, caught him with a harlot.
- The Guiterman smile is teasingthe smile of a verbal sweetmeat-maker who knows how words can be tenderized, much like prunes, to please the palates of the literarily refined.
- Chakraborty in Newindpress
Joydeb Chakraborty, West Bengal police inspector general (jails), told reporters a short while after the hanging: "He had some sweetmeat and a little bit of curd before stepping on to the gallows. He was calm all the while."