stretch : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a large and unbroken expanse or distance
a stretch of highway
a stretch of clear water
- n the act of physically reaching or thrusting out
- n a straightaway section of a racetrack
- n exercise designed to extend the limbs and muscles to their full extent
- n extension to or beyond the ordinary limit
running at full stretch
by no stretch of the imagination
beyond any stretch of his understanding
- n an unbroken period of time during which you do something
there were stretches of boredom
he did a stretch in the federal penitentiary
- n the capacity for being stretched
- v occupy a large, elongated area
The park stretched beneath the train line
- v extend one's limbs or muscles, or the entire body
- v extend or stretch out to a greater or the full length
stretch out that piece of cloth
- v become longer by being stretched and pulled
The fabric stretches
- v make long or longer by pulling and stretching
stretch the fabric
- v lie down comfortably
To enjoy the picnic, we stretched out on the grass
- v pull in opposite directions
During the Inquisition, the torturers would stretch their victims on a rack
- v extend the scope or meaning of; often unduly
stretch my patience
stretch the imagination
- v corrupt, debase, or make impure by adding a foreign or inferior substance; often by replacing valuable ingredients with inferior ones
- v increase in quantity or bulk by adding a cheaper substance
stretch the soup by adding some more cream
- v extend one's body or limbs
Let's stretch for a minute--we've been sitting here for over 3 hours
- s having an elongated seating area
a stretch limousine
- s easily stretched
- Remember Silky Sullivan? A big, chestnut, three-year-old colt in 1958, he had a breathtaking way of staying 25 or 30 lengths behind and then, in the stretch, thundering up on the .
- The first stretch fabric, of course, was skin.
- At peak hours, the accumulated tailbacks can stretch past 120 miles.
News & Articles
- Stretch of I-77 closed to trucks
A three-mile stretch of Interstate 77 that goes over Celanese Road in York County is partially closed to truck drivers after holes were discovered in the roadway. The South Carolina Department of Transportation is trying to keep the weight off that stretch of interstate. The SCDOT is not allowing trucks to travel in the right lane on I-77.
June 12, 2013 - WSOC-TV Charlotte
- Stretch of I-94 eastbound to close overnight
A stretch of interstate will shut down overnight.
June 11, 2013 - WISN 12 Milwaukee
- Dangerous Stretch Of Road In Mansfield To Be Improved
A nearly one mile stretch of road in Mansfield with a reputation for being over-crowded is about to get some safety improvements: extra lanes for drivers.
June 11, 2013 - CBS Dallas - Fort Worth
- Tiger Wood in Sydney Morning Herald
As I said it yesterday, it's a process,Woods said. "You have to just build. All the Opens that I've won I've had one stretch of nine holes. I got myself back in the championship with those nine holes."
- Brett Favre in International Herald Tribune
My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch,Favre told the Biloxi newspaper. "I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."
- Harry Reid in International Herald Tribune
Adding more combat troops will only endanger more Americans and stretch our military to the breaking point for no strategic gain,Pelosi and Reid wrote in a letter to Bush.