- n a projectile made by chewing a piece of paper and shaping it into a sphere
- n an illegal pitch in which a foreign substance (spit or Vaseline) is applied to the ball by the pitcher before he throws it
- Baseball's last legal spitball was thrown by Burleigh Arland Grimes of the New York Yankees on Sept.
- Parks are not as costly as a bank bailout or as angst-inducing as health care, and who wants to be the one to throw a spitball at Old Faithful?.
- In this startling collection of verse and prosery, Lennon has rolled Edward Lear, Lewis Carroll and James Thurber into one great post-Joycean spitball.
News & Articles
- Great Moments in Anti-Steroids Melodrama
Steve Wulf of ESPN.com should win an award for this “here are all the reasons you should hate the Biogenesis players” column. My favorite bit: Morals. It’s just plain wrong. Yeah, Gaylord Perry threw a spitball, and Ty Cobb sharpened his spikes, and King Kelly used to take a shortcut from first to third. But…
June 6, 2013 - NBC Sports: HardballTalk
- Harry Reid in Washington Post (blog)
And just the way the spitball was abused in baseball and the four-corner offense was abused in basketball,Reid said, "Republicans have abused the filibuster."
- George Bamberger in Isthmus
As the book quotes former Brewers manager George Bamberger as saying, "A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor."
- Don Mattingly in New York Post
I know Mariano so well,said hitting coach Don Mattingly, who was a teammate of Rivera's for one season and on the coaching staff of the Yankees for four years. "The last thing he's doing is throwing a spitball."