- v refrain from harming
- v save or relieve from an experience or action
- v give up what is not strictly needed
- v use frugally or carefully
- v furnish with spars
- v fight with spurs
- v box lightly
- v fight verbally
- s avoiding waste
a sparing father and a spending son
sparing in their use of heat and light
- If the test shows the presence of cancer, the physician can remove affected lymph nodes immediately, sparing women the wait and possible follow-up surgery.
- Republican Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania is known for being blunt, not sparing even members of his own party.
- Welcome to Sirius Satellite Radio, a company running edgy programming and sparing no expense in its quest to breathe life into radio--and one day turn a profit for shareholders.
News & Articles
- Why Barcelona Should Pay Over the Odds to Get Thiago Silva
With the Neymar deal swiftly wrapped up, sparing us from a summer of will-he-won't-he, it must be frustrating for Barcelona fans to see the Daily Mail linking their club with Juan Mata and The Guardian talking up a possible move for Fernando Torres . Not because either of those would necessarily be bad signings, but because La Blaugrana are screaming out for a centre-back. According to Sky ...
June 19, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Playing on turf in Toronto, CarGo at DH Monday
Rockies manager Walt Weiss decided Carlos Gonzalez would serve as designated hitter for Monday's Interleague game against the Blue Jays, sparing him some additional discomfort in his knee and foot, which are still sore and will be for some time.
June 18, 2013 - Colorado Rockies
- Small fires crop up; weather to cool this weekend
A series of smaller fires hit the north state today, inching close to populated areas in Cottonwood and Anderson but sparing any damage beyond vegetation.
June 15, 2013 - The Record Searchlight
- Robert Gates in Merced Sun-Star
Our commanders are sparing no effort to find this young soldier,Gates said at a Pentagon news conference.
- Howard Stringer in Denver Post
The massive economic upheaval being experienced across the globe is sparing no one in the consumer electronics world,Stringer said, adding that details of the additional steps will be announced in April or May.
- Irshad Manji in Montreal Gazette
A moratorium isn't enough. Sparing individuals on the basis of an international spotlight being shone on them is not enough either. The practice must end,said Manji.