- n a nation's ruler or head of state usually by hereditary right
- s (of political bodies) not controlled by outside forces
a sovereign state
- s greatest in status or authority or power
- The allegations cost Veera his job, even though he knelt in parliament before a picture of the sovereign and asked forgiveness.
- If territory is not "sovereign" it wouldn't need to be "conquered.
- In this sort of crisis we all want God to be sovereign, all powerful to be able to intervene decisively, to rule over every atom and molecule of the universe.
- President Bush in Times Online
Russia has invaded a sovereign neighbouring state and threatens a democratic government elected by its people. Such an action is unacceptable in the 21st century,said Mr Bush.
- Joe Biden in Los Angeles Times
You see the amount of these [sovereign bond purchasing] operations, of this programme, and we have the feeling -- but we will continue to observe it with great attention -- that what is needed in terms of the level of interventions on our part has... Jean-Claude Trichet http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Trichet&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFQ3i5kKC7Jq7XUiVMILRUSPAVq7w Market News International http://www.google.com/url?q=http://imarketnews.com/%3Fq%3Dnode/16174&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHLWpPNzcHWxWnj_tbdkB7BOyIX2g Jul 8, 2010
92621 123100 sovereign Look, Israel can determine for itself -- it's a sovereign nation -- what's in their interest and what they decide to do relative to Iran and anyone else," Biden replied.