- n a facial expression of contempt or scorn; the upper lip curls
- n a contemptuous or scornful remark
- v express through a scornful smile
she sneered her contempt
- v smile contemptuously
she sneered at her little sister's efforts to play the song on the piano
- President Gerardo Machado y Morales of Cuba and President Jose Serrato of Uruguay maintained an air of Augustan calm last week while their Foreign Ministers quarreled over a sneer.
- Ask almost any rapper or alternative rocker if Elvis is the King of Rock, and all you'll get is a sneer.
- Unlike the Bushies, the Obama folks bypass the press with a smile, not a sneer.
News & Articles
- World Football Idiot of the Week
You know who you are, Neymar doubters. You’ ve been turning your nose and pretending this Brazilian superstar in front of us is nothing more than an over-hyped show pony. “He won’t cut it in Europe,” you say. “He’s not as good as you think he is,” you sneer. “He’s over-rated,” you state. You are wrong. As if Neymar hadn ’t already stated his case, the Barcelona midfielder’s performance for ...
July 2, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- BLOG: Wii Party U Is Actually Really Fun
After playing Wii Party U with friends, I think I get why it's being made. My initial reaction when Wii Party U was brought up during the E3 2013 Nintendo Direct was that of a sneer. Through the sputtering stream, I made out Satoru Iwata asking us to please understand that Wii Party U was delayed from summer to October, taking up one of the precious fall release slots. Landing among Wind Waker ...
July 1, 2013 - Nintendo World Report
- Vince McMahon Should Become WWE's Top Heel Again
Vince McMahon is at his best when he is at his worst. After months of being Mr. Nice Guy, the chairman of WWE has finally gotten his evil business tyrant suits back from the dry cleaners. Guess what? They fit just as well today as they did back in the days of Attitude and Ruthless Aggression, when he was the company’s top heel. McMahon has traded in his smile for a sneer to once again rule WWE ...
June 27, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- John Howard in Brisbane Times
It's a sentiment he expresses through the art of the subtle sneer - when he talks about Australia's economy becoming nothing more than 'China's quarry and Japan's beach',Mr Howard said. "As if a job in mining is somehow sub-par and not...
- Simon Cowell in stv.tv
Simon said: "I don't like The Brits. Leona at The Brits tells you everything about the record business. You should recognise and celebrate success, not sneer at it, wherever the artist comes from."
- Robbie Williams in MyParkMag
Gary - who has enjoyed chart success since the band reformed in 2005 minus Robbie - added to Q magazine: "I was really embarrassed to use my credit card over the phone because when I said 'Gary Barlow' people would just laugh or sneer. Not a good...