slum : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a district of a city marked by poverty and inferior living conditions
- v spend time at a lower socio-economic level than one's own, motivated by curiosity or desire for adventure; usage considered condescending and insensitive
attending a motion picture show by the upper class was considered sluming in the early 20th century
- A sure sign of the change coming to Asia's most populous slum is the transformation in Mohammed Sayyed's sales patter.
- Smack in the middle of the slum-mulligan of Manhattan's lower East Side two barefaced, rectangular apartments rear their bricks twelve stories into the air.
- If one slum area is cleared, its residents crowd into another, and higher-income groups move into the nice new buildings.
News & Articles
- Extended 'Elysium' Trailer: Robo Matt Damon Kicking Butt in Space
District 9 director Neill Blomkamp has bigger stars and a bigger budget for his sci-fi follow-up but he's still traversing similar themes of immigration and the haves vs. the have-nots in Elysium . This time, instead of aliens relegated to the poorer quarters of earth, it's humans stuck on a now dystopian earth that's one giant slum planet. The happy one percent live on a man-made space station ...
June 14, 2013 - Zimbio
- AP PHOTOS: A look at soccer in Rio's slums
In this June 8, 2013 photo, youth compete in the the Sao Carlos slum's local soccer tournament in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. With the Confederations Cup opening this week and the World Cup one year away, all eyes are on Brazil, where football is arguably played with more passion and art than anywhere.
June 13, 2013 - Washington Examiner
- In Brief: Piped water for Dhaka slums
The Bangladesh government has started work on delivering piped water to more than three million Dhaka slum dwellers by the end of 2014, say officials.
June 13, 2013 - IRIN
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in FOXNews
Moments later, Clinton said that she was fighting against misguided Republican policies "when you were practicing law and representing your contributor ...... in his slum landlord business in inner city Chicago."
- Bill Gates in Newsweek
We need tools that will allow women to protect themselves,Bill Gates said. "This is true whether the woman is a faithful married mother of small children, or a sex worker trying to scrape out a living in a slum. No matter where she lives,...
- Manmohan Singh in Wall Street Journal
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh complained in June that inequality breeds social unrest because "the electronic media carries the lifestyles of the rich and famous into every village and every slum."