- n an almost pleasurable sensation of fright
- n an involuntary vibration (as if from illness or fear)
- v shake, as from cold
- v tremble convulsively, as from fear or excitement
- It is the bad news that comes with a blast or a crash, to stop us in midsentence to stare at the TV, and shudder.
- His remarks last week sent another shudder through a nation already coping--or more precisely, failing to cope--with the renewed divisions triggered by the Simpson verdict.
- The news sent a shudder through Lexus' spanking new North American dealership network.
News & Articles
- Markets Shudder with Possible Scale Backs
Financial markets shuddered Wednesday after the Federal Reserve said it could start scaling back its huge economic stimulus program later this year and end it by the middle of next. The sharp reaction in markets, especially in the 10-year Treasury note, showed just how much investors have come to depend on the Fed's easy money policies. The Standard & Poor's 500 was down about half a percentage ...
June 20, 2013 - The Lakeland Ledger
- Colorectal cancer: Screening is the key to early detection
Men and women approaching age 50 often shudder when their doctor informs them it's almost time for a screening colonoscopy. But regular screening, beginning at age 50, is the key to preventing colorectal cancer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
June 20, 2013 - The Community Connection
- Transit Day: Nestor Ramos hops aboard in push for public transportation
It only takes 15 minutes to get anywhere in Rochester, and so we drive to any-there: to the mall or the ballpark or the lake. To that other mall or to Wegmans or to — shudder — work.
June 20, 2013 - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
- Jerry Farwell in Forbes
I shudder to think where the country would be right now if the religious right had not evolved,Falwell said when he stepped down as Moral Majority president in 1987.
- Robert Mugabe in Reuters South Africa
The Zimbabwe Republic Police and all security agencies should not shudder because of the barrage of false and orchestrated criticism by the opposition......,Mugabe said.
- John Howard in NEWS.com.au
A young woman, Kylie Minogue, any young woman of that age to be diagnosed with that condition - it does send a shudder through you,said Prime Minister John Howard, whose wife Janette has also had a cancer scare. "I think all Australians...