- v hamper the progress of; impede
short-circuit warm feelings
- v create a short circuit in
- v avoid something unpleasant or laborious
- The trouble with loaded words is that they tend to short-circuit thought.
- Critics like South Carolina state senator Hugh Leatherman, a Republican, say it's Sanford's professional infidelity that stands to short-circuit his national political ambitions.
- The fear on this side of the Atlantic is that such a move would short-circuit the three-year-old European-led effort to persuade the Iranians to give up their nuclear ambitions .
News & Articles
- Are You Hardwired For Growth?
Sometimes you need to "rewire" your growing company by adding new people and processes. Just make sure you don't short-circuit your momentum. A sudden surge in demand for a product or service can be overwhelming for a business. The company's focus often will shift from building long-term ideas and vision to the challenge of delivering for customers day-to-day. Management teams look for any ...
June 20, 2013 - Inc Magazine
- TWA Flight 800 crash: Ex-investigators want to reopen inquiry, think missile downed jet
The effort to reopen the inquiry is being made in tandem with the release next month of a documentary that features the testimony of former investigators who raise doubts about the National Transportation Safety Board's conclusion that the crash was caused by a center fuel tank explosion, probably caused by a spark from a short-circuit in the wiring.
June 19, 2013 - The Oregonian
- Slade Gorton in Forbes
Clearly, there were times when BP didn't recognize the urgent need for process safety improvements,Gorton said. "But we didn't find any deliberate and conscious efforts on their part to short-circuit safety."
- John Roberts in guardian.co.uk
To suddenly constitutionalize this area would short-circuit what looks to be a prompt and considered legislative response,Roberts said.
- Charles Grassley in Washington Times
Even though the recess appointment is an attempt to short-circuit the official vetting process, I intend to pursue this line of questioning with Dr. Berwick,Mr. Grassley said.