- n the feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced
as he heard the news he was suddenly flooded with relief
- n the condition of being comfortable or relieved (especially after being relieved of distress)
he enjoyed his relief from responsibility
- n (law) redress awarded by a court
was the relief supposed to be protection from future harm or compensation for past injury?
- n someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult)
- n assistance in time of difficulty
the contributions provided some relief for the victims
- n a pause for relaxation
- n a change for the better
- n aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped
he has been on relief for many years
- n the act of reducing something unpleasant (as pain or annoyance)
he asked the nurse for relief from the constant pain
- n sculpture consisting of shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the surrounding background
- n the act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged
he asked for troops for the relief of Atlanta
- The Obama administration's mortgage relief program is finally gaining traction.
- Farmers said relief dependents were laughing at their job offers.
- If people were hogs the problem of relief would be as easy as dumping slops into a trough.
News & Articles
- Relief help shouldn’t be trade priority for Reds
MILWAUKEE — As the trade deadline approaches, it seems to me that the Reds can cross “Relief Help” off the shopping list. The bullpen hasn’t allowed a run in 20 2/3 innings. Sean Marshall and Jonathan Broxton are due back around All-Star Break. Manny Parra, who struggled so badly early, hasn’t given up a run ...
July 8, 2013 - The Cincinnati Enquirer
- Direct Relief Receives President's Award for Outstanding Use of GIS
REDLANDS, Calif., July 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Direct Relief, a leading humanitarian medical aid organization, was honored with the Esri President's Award for outstanding geographic information system ...
July 8, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- How Not to Talk About Asiana Airlines's Crash Landing
From expressing relief that it was Chinese passengers (not Koreans) that died, to announcing that you weren't on the flight, there are some lessons about Asiana Airlines Flight 214 that go beyond what went wrong with the doomed 777. Over the weekend, it seemed like we learned a lot of things about the flight, the pilots, the intricacies of the Boeing 777, and the endless debate of whether or not ...
July 8, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in The Guardian
We have directed BP to mobilise additional equipment and technology. In the coming days and weeks, these efforts should capture up to 90% of the oil leaking out of the well,said Obama. "This is until the company finishes drilling a relief...
- Wesley Sneijder in News Live (blog)
The 26-year-old added: "If you can eliminate Brazil, one of the best teams in this championship the first feeling is relief, we always believed in it."
- Barney Frank in San Francisco Chronicle
The idea is "give the middle class and the average citizen the same kind of relief that we try to give the financial sector," said Democratic Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.