- r on the contrary; rather (or instead), he wrote her a letter"
rather than disappoint the children, he did two quick tricks before he left
- r to some (great or small) extent
it was rather cold
the party was rather nice
the knife is rather dull
I rather regret that I cannot attend
He's rather good at playing the cello
- r more readily or willingly
I'd rather be in Philadelphia
- r to a degree (not used with a negative)
- He has also taken a rather exotic line on Russia, which he wants to drum out of the G-8 organization of major industrial powers (a foolish proposal, since none of the other G-8 .
- Instead, Washington's response to the trial in Afghanistan of Abdul Rahman has been rather muted.
- The car reportedly uses super strong glue rather than welds in some joints a technique that a handful of other car makers have used before, though perhaps never as extensively.
News & Articles
- Thousand of firms reportedly swap data with U.S. agencies
Rather than information about than customers' private communications, thousands of companies are providing intelligence organizations with data such as equipment specifications, sources tell Bloomberg. [Read more]
June 14, 2013 - CNET
- Lindell Stone Should Play the Field Rather Than Accept UCLA's Scholarship Offer
In what now seems to be developing into the rule rather than the exception, another standout eighth-grade football player has been offered a scholarship by a major college program. Quarterback Lindell Stone is officially a target of UCLA, but the youngster shouldn't be so quick to make a decision. According to Damon Sayles of ESPN Recruiting Nation , UCLA extended the offer on Tuesday to the 6'2 ...
June 13, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Slide Show: 6 of the best countries for new moms
Rather than put baby in a corner, Finland puts baby in a box
June 13, 2013 - Market Watch