- n a simple type of jet engine; must be launched at high speed
- A scramjet (that's top-gun shorthand for "supersonic ramjet") is a jet engine that is powered by oxygen it scoops out of the air as it flies, so it's not weighed down by a fuel .
- The waterborne jet works on much the same principle as the airborne ramjet.
- Because the basic ramjet is just about the simplest power plant ever to be airborne, its promise has always excited aeronautical engineers.
News & Articles
- New York to Dublin in one hour -- the future of aviation?
A United States military designed scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet), called the X-51A WaveRider, is set to make history by flying the same distance as a Trans-Atlantic flight, from New York to Dublin, in just one hour.
June 29, 2013 - Irish Central