proficient : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude
a proficient engineer
- a of or relating to technique or proficiency in a practical skill
- Criminals are becoming more imaginative and technically proficient every year and it is becoming more and more difficult to close a crime.
- According to the standards it set for itself, 89% of its fourth-graders were proficient or better in reading, making them the best in the nation.
- Fruit flies are among the most sexually proficient creatures on earth.
News & Articles
- Noted artist creates work celebrating Hanover history
Patricia Buckley was once told by her teachers that she wasn't "proficient in anything." She suffered from dyslexia at a time when little was known about the condition. But the young New Yorker soon caught one teacher's attention, who saw that the little girl was artistically gifted. The teacher convinced the girl's mother to enroll her in a school for girls, where she could thrive artistically ...
June 13, 2013 - The Evening Sun
- Bitten by tragedy, Cesar Millan returns wiser as 'Leader of the Pack'
By Kurt Schlosser, Glen Dacy and Jamie FarnsworthRock CenterIt's almost impossible to imagine Cesar Millan without his dogs. For nine seasons, he starred as "Dog Whisperer" on The National Geographic Channel. He built an empire working with the most challenging of canines -- but as he told "Rock Center's" Kate Snow recently, what he was less proficient with was understanding the human species.Mi ...
June 12, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Rubio introduces amendment to toughen English requirement for immigrants
Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida announced Tuesday he will introduce an amendment to the immigration reform bill that would require all immigrants to prove they were proficient in English before they could receive permanent legal immigration status. Rubio's amendment would significantly change the sweeping bill and would make it harder for millions of immigrants [...]
June 11, 2013 - The Ticket via Yahoo! News
- Michael Hayden in FOXNews
While that record alone would justify Rahim's capture, it does not fully describe his place in the terrorist infrastructure,Hayden said. "Proficient in several languages and familiar with the border areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan, he...
- Mike Dunleavy in USA Today
Other than Chris Kaman right now, we probably don't have a guy who should be dominant in the low post,Dunleavy said. "This gives us two big guys that are pretty proficient in the low post. Marcus Camby is a great complement to both of...
- Kobe Bryant in The Canberra Times
Australia always plays a completely different style of game than we played [against Germany, which they won by 49 points],Bryant said. "They run a continuity offence and they are very proficient at it and they run hard cuts and set hard...