potassium : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a light soft silver-white metallic element of the alkali metal group; oxidizes rapidly in air and reacts violently with water; is abundant in nature in combined forms occurring in sea water and in carnallite and kainite and sylvite
- Potassium, a body salt that affects the electrical conductivity of the heart, is essential to controlling cardiac rhythm.
- By potash people mean potassium, a, metal absolutely essential to plant life.
- Then, exhorted by their leader, intimidated by armed guards and lulled with sedatives and painkillers, parents and nurses used syringes to squirt a concoction of potassium .
News & Articles
- Understanding the heart's rhythm
Scientists have discovered a previously unidentified potassium channel in cardiac cells that regulate the human heartbeat. This could be a significant step towards developing "biological pacemakers" to replace today's mechanical pacemakers, the researcher says.
June 11, 2013 - Science Daily
- Orocobre Completes Long-Term Pump Testing at the Cangrejillos/Salinas Grandes Potash-Lithium Project
Highlights - Long-term pump testing completed on five test-production wells. - Pump testing shows that brine volumes can be extracted from wells from the shallow potassium-lithium resource at a sufficient rate and concentration to support modest potash and lithium production. - Brine grades stabilized during the pumping tests with some variation in average grade between holes. - Test work since ...
June 11, 2013 - Marketwire
- Marshall Brain in Sun-Sentinel
Sodium, chloride, potassium and water -- that's [mostly] what is coming out in sweat,said Marshall Brain, the founder of the website howstuffworks.com. "There isn't some magic sweat gland filtering out toxins through the skin."
- Phil Jackson in ESPN
We're aware that he's sweating a lot -- low potassium here in Hawaii. He's got to eat more bananas,Jackson said.
- Jack Kevorkian in WJZ
He's dying now, because his oxygen's cut off. He can't breathe,Kevorkian explained. "So now, I'll quickly inject the potassium chloride to stop the heart."