- n a French soldier (especially in World War I)
- n thick stew made of rice and chicken and small game; southern U.S.
- The Government is considering a proposal to issue 25-centime postage stamps bearing the figure of a French poilu.
- When drafted he served briefly at the front as a common poilu.
- In the Rhineland, in the courtyard of Mainz's Grand Ducal Palace, the French 8th Infanterie de Ligne stood at attention last week, each poilu perspiring profusely beneath his .
News & Articles
- Blood and Mud: The Horror of WWI
Finally available in English, Poilu, a classic battlefield memoir by a World War I French infantryman, reveals as much as any book can about the ugly realities of war.
May 1, 2014 - The Daily Beast via Yahoo! News
- Nicolas Sarkozy in International Herald Tribune
Never again will anyone tell their grandchildren or great-grandchildren about the terrible life of the trenches,Sarkozy said. "No more, will anyone hear the old 'poilu' tell his grandchildren or great-grandchildren: 'Never make war...