- v cause to wither or parch from exposure to heat
The sun parched the earth
- s dried out by heat or excessive exposure to sunlight
- s toasted or roasted slightly
parched corn was a staple of the Indian diet
- An entrepreneur proposed towing small icebergs in from northern seas to parched areas such as northern Mexico.
- By blocking moisture-bearing equatorial winds and preventing them from bringing rainfall to the parched sub-Sahara region, as well as other drought-ridden areas stretching all the .
- THE Union Corse, an organization that originated in the parched hills of Corsica but is today centered in Marseille, rules more in fact than even James Bond imagined in fiction.
News & Articles
- Groups along Klamath River invoke water rights
Tribes and irrigators with senior rights formally call for water, meaning some southern Oregon ranchers must use less this summer. Some southern Oregon ranchers will have to reduce or completely shut down irrigation in the parched Upper Klamath Basin this summer as a result of a historic assertion of water rights by other users in the region.
June 12, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Drought takes toll on southeastern Colorado
Some farmers in southeast Colorado say they won't have a wheat crop this year because of an ongoing drought. Kiowa County farmer Chris Tallman says the entire county is full of dead wheat fields. According to the Denver Post, parched fields are losing their topsoil and causing dust storms.
June 7, 2013 - KRDO Colorado Springs
- Ethiopia summons Egypt's ambassador over Nile dam
Ethiopia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs is demanding an official explanation from Egypt after comments from politicians suggesting Egypt attack or sabotage a Nile River dam Ethiopia is building upstream from parched Egypt.
June 6, 2013 - Fox News
- Jesse Jackson in FOXNews
I feel so passionate about this injustice being done, how unnecessary it is to deny her a feeding tube, water, not even ice to be used for her parched lips,said Jackson, who has run for president as a Democrat. "This is a moral issue and...
- Bob Brown in The Age
Greens Leader Bob Brown, who was the only MP to speak at the service, described him as "a refreshing rain of decency across the parched plains of Australian politics".
- Russell Slade in Romford Recorder
The training ground is looking parched. It's hard and training won't be easy, but it's something that has got to be done,said Slade.