outcrop : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the part of a rock formation that appears above the surface of the surrounding land
- v appear on the surface, come to the surface on the ground
Big boulders outcropped
- They all take place in Ice Haven, a burgh whose only distinguishing characteristic is a pustule-shaped rock outcrop known among the locals as "our friend.
- Ever since the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht gave Britain sovereignty over the craggy outcrop that juts from the southern edge of Andalusia, Spain has been trying to win Gibraltar back.
- Oush Grab is an undistinguished rocky outcrop of limestone, dotted with thorny shrubs.
News & Articles
- Will feds sink guerrilla art on Puget Sound?
On a volcanic outcrop near Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound, a new rock formation stands - a man made rock formation. “I guess it’s guerrilla art,” said artist Ethan Currier. “I didn't ask for permission.” He calls it “Blakely Rock Man.” It’s a 12-foot tall, 1,500-pound granite sculpture of a person in a yoga pose built by Currier on Blakely Rock. “I always forget how big it is,” he said. “It ...
June 18, 2013 - KING5 Seattle
- Artist records images of New England Trail
While hiking the Mattabasset Trail through town, one might encounter a woman, perched on a rock outcrop, taking photographs with an accordion camera, like the ones used 100 years ago.
June 18, 2013 - Town Times
- Pa. man among NASA's 8 new astronauts
This image provided by NASA shows a rock outcrop in Gale Crater on Mars. NASA has selected eight new astronauts, who will be trained for a human mission to Mars.
June 17, 2013 - Philly.com
- Steve Squyres in San Diego Union Tribune
We've been attacking that outcrop with everything we have,said Squyres.
- President Bush in ABC News
We are a lot farther along in the game now that we have identified a rock outcrop on Mars that involved liquid water. We still have much to learn about where to go for any future fossil hunting on Mars. It will be sheer luck if robots discover... Jim Rice http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rice&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFxrayLFbQh5SJzyDD_gb_xHSJYqA USA Today http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-03-16-fossil-search_x.htm&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFLrlSjrddhXv06NUWPG2ng1Xb-Jg Mar 16, 2004
70524 94812 outcropping Mike and two teammates had taken position on the outcropping of a rooftop when an insurgent grenade bounced off Mike's chest and landed on the roof. Mike had a clear chance to escape, but he realized that the other two SEALs did not. In that...