- a of or relating to osmosis
- In a vain attempt to re-establish osmotic equilibrium in the cell, water from the intercellular spaces flows into the cell through the membrane, causing the cell to swell up and die.
- In its osmotic effect, this viciousness of attitude poisons whatever theme the playwright may have thought he had.
- This is osmotic rather than overt, something in the mood and tempo of his work, and not in the presence of any black characters in his plays.
- Stephen Fry in Times Online
Interviewed at The Times Cheltenham Literature Festival, Fry says the realisation that he had become a celebrity "was a slow osmotic leeching into the British consciousness".