- s with eyes or mouth open in surprise
- With its long hood and short rear deck, its Ferrari flare and openmouthed air scoop, the Mustang resembles the European racing cars that American sports-car buffs find so .
- At first, the Arabian negotiators listened openmouthed as the labor leaders attacked the "backward" government, then, recovering, they clapped the agitators in jail.
- Visitors stood openmouthed in front of a photo that showed cars parked on a rooftop, bewildered about how they got there.
- Mark Kurlansky in Boston Globe (registration)
But, as Mark Kurlansky writes in his book "Cod": "If ever there were a fish made to endure, it is the Atlantic cod -- the common fish. But it has among its predators man, an openmouthed species greedier than cod."