open-source : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a of or relating to or being computer software for which the source code is freely available
- The open-source movement is based on programmers writing software and then giving it away, with coding for all to see.
- We camcordered bombing runs and built open-source software.
- In an idealistic corner of the computer world, there is a breed of benign engineers called open-source software programmers.
News & Articles
- The Secret(s) to OpenStack's Overnight Success
OpenStack has been around since 2010, but it wasn't until 2012 that the open-source cloud computing project really took off. Since Rackspace established the OpenStack Foundation in September 2012, the project has exploded to over 1,000 code authors , and is now one of the world's largest open-source communities, arguably even bigger than the Linux community. Given how central open source has ...
June 12, 2013 - ReadWriteWeb
- Stanford online coursework to be available on new open-source platform
As Stanford marks the one-year anniversary of its newest effort to develop online learning opportunities, it begins offering summer courses on the newly open-source OpenEdX platform.
June 11, 2013 - Stanford Report
- StreamGuys market new audio content delivery
Bayside-based StreamGuys recently announced its support of Ogg Opus -- a new open-source audio codec standardized by the Internet Engineering Task Force -- that gives radio broadcasters more options for high-quality, low-latency audio streams.
June 11, 2013 - Eureka Times-Standard
- Neelie Kroes in San Jose Mercury News
The changes in Microsoft's business practices, in particular toward open-source software developers, will profoundly affect the software industry,Kroes said. "The repercussions of these changes will start now and will continue for years to...
- Richard Stallman in CNET News.com
The recent patent agreement between Microsoft and Novell aims to undermine (open-source) freedoms. In (the third) draft, we have worked hard to prevent such deals from making a mockery of free software,Richard Stallman, president of the FSF...
- Mitchell Baker in Reuters
John Lilly is the right person to guide the maturation of Mozilla,said Mitchell Baker, Chairman of Mozilla Corporation. "John has been instrumental in developing an organization that is both embedded in Mozilla and open-source DNA and that...