- n (computer science) a rigorous and exhaustive organization of some knowledge domain that is usually hierarchical and contains all the relevant entities and their relations
- n the metaphysical study of the nature of being and existence
- He uses the word ontology as naturally as other young men say "dude," but he's quite capable of vivid straight talk.
- Werner Erhard, personal problems aside, will someday be realized as an innovator and a genius in the field of ontology, the study of being.
- Existential anxiety implies ontology; it cannot be "caused.
News & Articles
- This Week in Nucleic Acids Research
In Nucleic Acids Research this week: Human Phenotype Ontology project update, pan-genomic patterns, and more.
Nov. 13, 2013 - GenomeWeb News
- Esther Dyson in New York Times
That technology, Ms. Dyson said, is "not so much a search engine, but an ontology engine," with a capability to find and identify concepts in health and not just sort through works and Web links.
- Cory Doctorow in ZDNet UK
We set out five years ago with the famous layer cake diagram, saying we're going to need RDF (resource description framework) as a data language, we're going to need an ontology language, we're going to need query and rules languages. We've been... Tim Berners-Lee http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHomFhiBz_Gj7gDqwfUf9E6YDmERw ZDNet http://www.google.com/url?q=http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6076152.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGmZDwUpwn3Ou0KDDrsjdgn8aBPTw May 24, 2006
69764 93227 ontology We've had this decades-long program of top-down metadata. People (were asked) to go out and become familiar with one ontology and to make sure data is categorised like this. But people are not very good at this," said Cory Doctorow, an editor...