officer : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n any person in the armed services who holds a position of authority or command
an officer is responsible for the lives of his men
- n someone who is appointed or elected to an office and who holds a position of trust
he is an officer of the court
the club elected its officers for the coming year
- n a member of a police force
it was an accident, officer
- n a person authorized to serve in a position of authority on a vessel
he is the officer in charge of the ship's engines
- v direct or command as an officer
- Tom Cruise and German officer Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg.
- Eventually one of them was paying Dowd and another officer $8,000 a week in protection money.
- The police officer said authorities found a pipe wrench in a bathroom in the prison yard, which the inmates apparently used to open a ventilation window.