- n a feast day and the seven days following it
- n a musical interval of eight tones
- n a rhythmic group of eight lines of verse
- Marian Anderson had a three-octave range and a voice that conductor Arturo Toscanini reportedly said was "such as one hears once in 100 years.
- Concertgoers, bred in a world where the finest division of music is the halftone, in which the chromatic scale has a total of twelve tones to the octave, heard, or tried to hear .
- Flash back, and then sketch in a trio of heroes: General Sam Houston (Dennis Quaid, his voice dropped an octave into martial mode); rebel warrior Jim Bowie (Jason Patric); and .
News & Articles
- Country crooner Slim Whitman dead at age 90
In the 1996 movie comedy "Mars Attacks!" Slim Whitman's yodeling, high-octave rendition of "Indian Love Call" causes the heads of the invading Martians to explode, saving Planet Earth.
June 20, 2013 - Boulder Daily Camera
- Slim Whitman, Yodeling Country Star, Dies at 90
With millions of records sold, the singer's high octave falsetto kept fans entertained for years. read more
June 19, 2013 - The Hollywood Reporter
- Matthew Friedberger in Prefixmag
After correcting his Radiohead hiccup in Spinner, Friedberger said something like "How's the song? Is it 48 notes to the octave? What does it have to do with Harry Patch? Oh, my wife says I am being very rude. She doesn't like me insulting...
- Simon Price in USA Today
The April 13 show in Birmingham "should never have happened," critic Simon Price wrote. "Her voice, seemingly about an octave deeper than the Whitney who sang the hits, is ragged and raw. ...... Between songs, wheezing and panting and...
- Carl Nafzger in Sportinglife.co.za
Lady Joanne survived a subsequent stewards' inquiry and a delighted Nafzger said: "Calvin just rode an unbelievable race. Last time he ran against Octave, she had us inside. This time, we had her inside. It was a tight hole, but it was a good hole....