- n a phrase that can function as the subject or object of a verb
- a relating to or constituting or bearing or giving a name
the Russian system of nominal brevity
a nominal lists of priests
taxable males as revealed by the nominal rolls
- s insignificantly small; a matter of form only (`tokenish' is informal)
the fee was nominal
- a pertaining to a noun or to a word group that functions as a noun
- a of, relating to, or characteristic of an amount that is not adjusted for inflation
the nominal GDP
nominal interest rates
- s named; bearing the name of a specific person
- s existing in name only
the nominal (or titular) head of his party
- The electorate were made aware of the nominal rolls of candidates who were ineligible to fight elections owing to corruption charges.
- What, exactly is "nominal market value?" It sounds like one of those models, which have been highly dubious in the real estate industry lately.
- Ismay will be the council's permanent chairman, the chief administrator of its staff, its top civilian liaison man with its nominal military subordinate.
News & Articles
- Egyptian property developer plans $85.8 mln rights issue
CAIRO (Reuters) - Palm Hills, Egypt's second-biggest listed property developer, plans to increase its capital by 600 million Egyptian pounds through a rights issue, the Egyptian Financial Supervisory Authority (EFSA) said on Thursday. A statement posted on the Egyptian bourse website said Palm Hills is seeking to offer 600 million pounds worth of shares to existing shareholders at their nominal ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Royal Delta returns
Churchill Downs is hosting an eleven-race card Saturday punctuated by four Thoroughbred stakes. The nominal feature is the Grade 1 Stephen Foster, a mile and one-eighth event with a $500,000 purse. However, many fans will concentrate instead on race six, the Fleur de Lis.
June 14, 2013 - The Troy Record
- Water rates going up, but just a little
STEVENSVILLE - Water rates are going up for Lincoln Township customers, but the increase is "a very, very nominal amount," according to township Supervisor Dick Stauffer.
June 13, 2013 - The Herald-Palladium
- Ben Bernanke in The Australian
Although conventional interest rate policy is constrained by the fact that nominal interest rates cannot fall below zero, the second arrow in the Federal Reserve's quiver - the provision of liquidity - remains effective,Mr Bernanke said.
- Claude Nicollier in Sydney Morning Herald
It's a super flight, better than nominal,added Nicollier, a former space shuttle astronaut.
- John Gieve in BBC News
I voted for a further increase earlier this month partly because I was not convinced that current rates would be sufficient to bring credit growth and nominal demand back to their long-term sustainable path,Sir John said.