nearer : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances
- s being on the left side
- s closely resembling the genuine article
- s giving or spending with reluctance
- s with or in a close or intimate relationship
- s very close in resemblance
- r (comparative of `near' or `close') within a shorter distance
they drew nearer
getting nearer to the true explanation
- But while the deadline may be getting nearer every day, the world seems to be largely running in place.
- When she spoke, later, it was nearer English than French, nearer dog than English.
- But skeptical Lima doctors took pictures of Lina's teeth and bones, concluded that she was nearer six than five, for her milk teeth had begun to fall out.
News & Articles
- Breakfasts, class time still up in debate
A pilot program that would provide free breakfasts to all of Gloucester's elementary school students enrolled in Beeman and Veterans next year has drawn both opposition and support as its implementation draws nearer. While school officials and some p
June 15, 2013 - Gloucester Daily Times
- Toscano and Sons' final day on Marietta Street draws near
Yes, 'twas announced in May but the day is drawing nearer. Toscano and Sons , the Westside Italian market and sandwich shop that's served countless panini to penny-pinching CL staffers over the last six-and-a-half years, is closing its Marietta Street location on June 19.… [ Read more ] [ Subscribe to the comments on this story ]
June 14, 2013 - Creative Loafing Atlanta
- Catch Elusive Mercury in June's Night Sky
The planet Mercury is often cited as the most difficult of the five bright planets to see. Called an "inferior planet" because its orbit is nearer to the sun than Earth's, Mercury — scarcely more than half as far from the sun as Venus is — always appears from our vantage point to be in the same general direction as the sun and is usually lost in the sunlight.
June 13, 2013 - SPACE.com via Yahoo! News
- Rafael Benitez in FOXSports.com
Benitez said: "Robbie Keane has a groin strain, we are not sure about him yet, but we will have to wait until nearer the match before we decide. (Steven) Gerrard and (Xabi) Alonso will be fit, but Torres will not be available. He may be ready for...
- Geoff Hoon in The Press Association
Mr Straw and Mr Hoon wrote: "It will be necessary to draw down our current commitment to nearer a third by no later than autumn in order to avoid long-term damage to the armed forces. Keeping more forces in Iraq would be outside our current defence...
- Duncan Fletcher in guardian.co.uk
In a statement issued while the team were at practice, Fletcher said: "I always said that I would review my position nearer to the end of this winter. Earlier in the World Cup I came to a decision and I discussed stepping down as head coach with the...