- s befitting a mother; warm and nurturing
- r in a maternal manner; as a mother
- But last week, while readers watched Capp spoof Cartoonist Allen Saunders' lovable, motherly missus-fixit Mary Worth as a nasty, interfering old harpy named Mary Worm, the worm .
- Separated: Palmiro Togliatti, 58, Italian Communist boss, and his motherly wife, Communist Senator Rita Montagnana, after 27 years of marriage.
- In a desperate motherly effort to secure a like position for Carl, Denmark's Queen Louise did her best to promote a marriage between him and The Netherlands' young Queen Wilhelmina.