migrant : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n traveler who moves from one region or country to another
- s habitually moving from place to place especially in search of seasonal work
appalled by the social conditions of migrant life
- The latest official numbers now say that 20 million out of China's 130 million migrant workers are unemployed.
- After photos of a badly beaten migrant worker circulated around the nation, Indonesia is pushing for better protection for the thousands of citizens it sends to jobs abroad every .
- China's Woody Guthrie makes his mark on poor migrant workers with folk songs of labor reform.
News & Articles
- Alleged sex trade victims describe ordeal to Philippine official
MANILA, June 21 (UPI) -- Four migrant workers allegedly victimized in the sex trade by a Philippines' labor official met Friday with government officials to tell their stories.
June 21, 2013 - UPI
- World Bank to help Bangladeshis prepare for migrant work abroad
DHAKA (Reuters) - The World Bank signed a $2.58 million deal with Bangladesh's biggest non-governmental agency on Friday to help improve prospects for Bangladeshis intending to migrate abroad for work. Under the deal with the BRAC NGO, a pilot project will develop Community Based Organisations to help ensure potential migrants are well informed about states where they seek jobs and help manage ...
June 21, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Strawberries and smiles
HENRY, Neb. – The migrant summer school students at Lincoln elementary attended an exciting field trip to Wind Harvest Farms to pick strawberries this Tuesday. Each student was given a container to fit as many berries as they could.
June 21, 2013 - The Torrington Telegram
- Gordon Brown in Forbes
We'll expand the background checks that have been done where there are highly skilled migrant workers coming into this country,Brown told the House of Commons in his first appearance at the weekly prime minister's questions.
- Wen Jiabao in Reuters (press release)
Rural migrant workers are the main army of the contemporary Chinese industrial workforce. Our wealth and our tall buildings are all distillations of your hard work and sweat,Wen told a group of migrant workers in Beijing on Monday, the...
- Chris Evans in Ninemsn
One of the concerns is whether it's fair on migrant groups,Senator Evans said. "The results of the test are encouraging, the pass rates are high, but one of the areas that's been identified is the humanitarian stream. Those people who have...