- s expressing one thing in terms normally denoting another
a metaphorical expression
- The metaphoric implications of this career are--like those in Richard Ford's recent Independence Day, about a real estate agent who has lost his own place in the world--a bit over .
- But if Biden stupidly loaded a metaphoric gun and pointed it at his forehead, he had help in pulling the trigger.
- And while it's the ultimate journalistic clich to quote a cabdriver, I can't resist this one: on the Saturday before the election, I attended a large and metaphoric Mousavi rally .
News & Articles
- Inquiring Minds Camp makes learning fun
Samantha Stone, a fifth grader, uses the pressure of her hands to smash two Starburst candies together to illustrate how metaphoric rock is formed by heat and pressure.
June 22, 2013 - The Glasgow Daily Times
- Bryan Fuller in Canada.com
At its heart, this is a fairy tale,Fuller explained. "We're using the style of a fairy tale to tell these thematic, metaphoric stories."
- Milan Kundera in AlterNet
But as Kundera says here in his defense of "thinking novels," novelistic thought "does not proclaim truths; it questions, it marvels, it plumbs; its form is highly diverse: metaphoric, ironic, hypothetic, hyperbolic, aphoristic, droll, provocative,...
- Mike Shinoda in Kykernel.com (subscription)
Linkin Park vocalist Mike Shinoda said in reference to the album title, "Don't take that at face value. There are layers of meaning; most metaphoric. It's a reference to the Doomsday Clock, the Apocalypse, a metaphor for death and rebirth - but it...