major : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a commissioned military officer in the United States Army or Air Force or Marines; below lieutenant colonel and above captain
- n British statesman who was prime minister from 1990 until 1997 (born in 1943)
- n a university student who is studying a particular field as the principal subject
she is a linguistics major
- n the principal field of study of a student at a university
her major is linguistics
- v have as one's principal field of study
She is majoring in linguistics
- a of greater importance or stature or rank
a major artist
a major role
- a greater in scope or effect
a major contribution
a major improvement
a major break with tradition
a major misunderstanding
- a greater in number or size or amount
a major portion (a majority) of the population
a major portion of the winnings
- a of the field of academic study in which one concentrates or specializes
his major field was mathematics
- a of a scale or mode
the key of D major
- a of greater seriousness or danger
a major earthquake
a major hurricane
a major illness
- a of full legal age
- s of the elder of two boys with the same family name
- He never watched major league baseball.
- The last time a major political party put forward a Roman Catholic candidate for President, he had to confront bigotry and suspicion that he would be taking orders from Rome.
- And that poses a major test for Washington.
News & Articles
- Major Changes to Cyprus Program Unlikely
Major Changes to Cyprus Program Unlikely
June 19, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Major natgas pipeline explodes in Louisiana, area evacuated
By Edward McAllister and Eileen Houlihan (Reuters) - A major natural gas pipeline exploded on Tuesday in Washington Parish, Louisiana, destroying a mobile home and causing an evacuation of the area but no injuries were reported, local officials said. The blast on the Florida Gas Transmission (FGT) pipeline, which transports gas from Texas to south Florida, sent a mushroom cloud into the sky and ...
June 18, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Major pipeline explodes in Louisiana, area evacuated
(Reuters) - A major natural gas pipeline exploded on Tuesday in Washington Parish, Louisiana, destroying a mobile home and causing an evacuation of the area but no injuries were reported, local officials said.
June 18, 2013 - Chicago Tribune
- Jay Pasachoff in The Associated Press
I am sad that so few people will be able to view this year's eclipse since it doesn't pass over major cities,Pasachoff said in an e-mail.
- Barack Obama in New York Daily News
Obama called the ruling "a major victory for big oil, Wall Street banks, health insurance companies and the other powerful interests that marshal their power ...... in Washington to drown out the voices of everyday Americans."
- LeBron James in BYU Newsnet
I think the major factor and the major reason in my decision was the best opportunity to win, and to win now, and to the future also,James said. "Winning is a big thing for me, ever since I was a rookie or I was in high school. That was...