longer : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person with a strong desire for something
a longer for money
- a primarily temporal sense; being or indicating a relatively great or greater than average duration or passage of time or a duration as specified
- a primarily spatial sense; of relatively great or greater than average spatial extension or extension as specified
- s of relatively great height
- a good at remembering
- a holding securities or commodities in expectation of a rise in prices
- a (of speech sounds or syllables) of relatively long duration
- s involving substantial risk
- s planning prudently for the future
- s having or being more than normal or necessary:"long on brains"
- r for more time
can I stay bit longer?
- Tom Perls, an aging expert at Boston University, explains why women live five to 10 years longer than men.
- A new study shows that as climate change leads to longer summers, the warming of the world's seas is causing mass death in coral populations.
- First on The Page: A GOP strategist says the former Pennsylvania Governor is no longer being considered as McCain's veep.
News & Articles
- Eluded by saves, Marmol will no longer close
You will no longer see Carlos Marmol closing for the Cubs. Manager Dale Sveum said Marmol, who blew a three-run lead in the ninth Sunday against the Mets, would be back in his role as a late-inning reliever.
June 18, 2013 - Major League Baseball
- Argentines no longer top beef eaters
Heading down Lisandro de la Torre street in south Buenos Aires at dawn on a weekday, it’s hard to believe Argentina no longer reigns as South America’s beef-eating king. People crowd around butcher shops that line both sides of the road for half a mile, eyeing carcasses that hang in open entrances. Customers order popular cuts of ribs and flank steak just a few yards away from one of South ...
June 17, 2013 - Christian Science Monitor via Yahoo! News
- WBUR no longer needs Sandwich High tower to transmit Cape signal
Boston University has informed the Sandwich district in writing that campus radio station WBUR will no longer use the cellular telephone tower atop the high school off Quaker MeetingHouse Road to transmit its signal across Cape Cod and the Islands.
June 17, 2013 - The Sandwich Broadsider
- Dan Gilbert in The Associated Press
As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier,Gilbert wrote. "This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating...
- Barack Obama in San Francisco Chronicle
What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them, that the stale political arguments no longer apply,Obama said. "The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it...
- Ben Bernanke in Los Angeles Times
The Fed "will strongly resist an erosion of longer-term inflation expectations, as an unanchoring of those expectations would be destabilizing for growth as well as for inflation," Bernanke said.