- n a triangular fore-and-aft sail used especially in the Mediterranean
- s rigged with a triangular (lateen) sail
- For centuries, a northerly known as the Kaskazi would fill the lateen sails of Arab dhows traveling in pursuit of Africa's riches.
- And the book is further marred by the same sort of excessive nautical argot (starboard this, lateen that) that makes Moby Dick such a tough sea of words to oar through.
- The tartans, or lateen-rigged fishing boats, triangular scraps of white sail on the blue, are flocking back to port.
News & Articles
- The Vixen
The Vixen is a rare lateen-rigged yacht built in 1885 and once owned by John Roosevelt, FDR's uncle.
March 9, 2014 - Register-Star