laser : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation; an optical device that produces an intense monochromatic beam of coherent light
- Like so many other triumphs of science, the laser has become a double-edged sword.
- Ever since lasersa word and an instrument stemming from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiationwere first perfected, their fierce, pure gleam has been one .
- The artists behind the Graffiti Research Lab decorate buildings and bridges with laser beams in lieu of spray-paint.
News & Articles
- Airborne laser reveals city under Cambodian earth
SYDNEY (AP) — Airborne laser technology has uncovered a network of roadways and canals, illustrating a bustling ancient city linking Cambodia's famed Angkor Wat temples complex.
June 18, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Laser scans flesh out the saga of Cambodia's 1,200-year-old lost city
Laser-scanning technology reveals that the Cambodian lost city of Mahendraparvata, dating back to a time before Angkor Wat, was much more extensive than previously thought. The latest word about the high-tech hunt for hidden ruins came over the weekend in an on-the-scene report from Australia's Fairfax Media.Archaeologists have known about the Hindu-Buddhist-influenced city, situated about 25 ...
June 17, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Airborne laser spots ancient city complex of roads, canals hidden under dense Cambodian forest
SYDNEY — Airborne laser technology has uncovered a network of roadways and canals, illustrating a bustling ancient city linking Cambodia's famed Angkor Wat temples complex.
June 17, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Paul Goydos in Gazette Online (blog)
But he rolled the downhill putt perfectly, saying "the ball couldn't have gone more in the center of the hole with a laser on it."
- Tony Hayward in The Associated Press
When he became CEO in 2007, Hayward said he would focus "like a laser" on safety, a phrase he repeated on Thursday.
- Henry Waxman in The Associated Press
When you became CEO of BP, you promised to focus like a laser on safe and reliable operations,Waxman said. "We wanted to know what you had done to keep this promise." "We could find no evidence that you paid any attention to the...