language : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols
he taught foreign languages
the language introduced is standard throughout the text
the speed with which a program can be executed depends on the language in which it is written
- n (language) communication by word of mouth
he uttered harsh language
he recorded the spoken language of the streets
- n the text of a popular song or musical-comedy number
the song uses colloquial language
- n the cognitive processes involved in producing and understanding linguistic communication
he didn't have the language to express his feelings
- n the mental faculty or power of vocal communication
language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals
- n a system of words used to name things in a particular discipline
the language of sociology
- In the first flush of nationalism, India declared in its 1949 constitution that Hindi would become the national language by 1965.
- Students in Dublin hold up an Irish language badge that they designed to encourage young people to speak Irish, the national language After decades of exodus, the tide of Irish .
- Man has long dreamed of an international language, but attempts to promote one have always failed, probably because no country wants to abandon its traditional tongue.
News & Articles
- Language Fair winners
Hutchison World Language scholars had a tremendously successful weekend at the 2013 University of Memphis Foreign Language Fair. More than 1,000 students from 22 schools participated in competitions and other language- and culture-related events. Hutchison participants claimed fourteen first place honors, six second place medals, and five third place awards. In Chinese, Hutchison girls won first ...
June 19, 2013 - Memphis Commercial Appeal
- Language in state budget assures meetings between Caltrans, bird groups
Language in the state budget package prevents Caltrans from working on the Marin-Sonoma Narrows Highway 101 project during next year's bird migration season before its representatives discuss “exclusionary measures” to protect birds.
June 19, 2013 - The Santa Rosa Press Democrat
- Language Access Network Celebrates 10 Year Anniversary
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Language Access Network ("LAN" or the "Company") the industry leader in trusted healthcare communications is celebrating its 10th anniversary. As one of the original ...
June 18, 2013 - GlobeNewswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Jacques Rogge in South China Morning Post (subscription)
Dr Rogge told the VRT television station from his native Belgium: "If you know China, you know that mounting the barricades and using tough language will have the opposite effect. China will close itself off from the rest of the world, which, don't...
- Barack Obama in Reuters UK
I think it's language that's reflective of George Bush. We have had a foreign policy of bluster and saber rattling,Obama said of Clinton's threat to "totally obliterate" Iran if it attacked Israel.
- Steven Gerrard in ABC News
In this day and age, I think it's important to show the referees some respect,England captain Steven Gerrard said Thursday. "You don't use any language, because then you'll be booked and the whole team suffers. You don't want to fall into...