- n a low area that has been filled in
- A General Electric biogas engine, still bearing the decorations from a blessing ceremony, is installed near a landfill on Bali and used to convert methane gases to electricity .
- A big reason for Britain's landfill addiction is that it's relatively inexpensive to bury rubbish.
- For decades, New York's trash went to Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island.
- Peter Garrett in Reuters UK
There are some 4 billion of these plastic bags floating around the place, getting into landfill, ending up affecting our wildlife, and showing up on our beaches while we are on holidays,Environment Minister Peter Garrett said on Thursday.
- Edward Leigh in Daily Mail
Tory MP Edward Leigh, chairman of the committee, said: "Faced with the 1999 EU directive limiting the amount of biodegradable waste sent to landfill, DEFRA issued no fewer than four vaguely worded consulation papers and strategies on waste...
- David Miliband in guardian.co.uk
Introducing the 2007 waste strategy for England, Mr Miliband said: "Our key objectives are less waste, more re-use and recycling, more energy from waste and less landfill."