- n shrimp-like planktonic crustaceans; major source of food for e.g. baleen whales
- Swarms of krill can be massive some the size of Rhode Island so oceanographers have suspected that their movements may cause significant ocean-mixing.
- That, in turn, could threaten krill, shrimplike creatures that feed on phytoplankton and are a key link in Antarctica's food chain.
- Not only that, but most of the krill surrounding the bergs die natural deaths and float to the bottom of the sea--taking with them the globe-warming carbon dioxide pulled from the .
News & Articles
- First krill powder study shows potential for metabolic syndrome
Daily supplements of krill powder may reduce the overactive endocannabinoid system in obese subjects, and offer potential for ameliorating metabolic syndrome, says a small study using Aker BioMarine’s new Superba Krill powder.
June 13, 2013 - Nutraingredients.com
- Jens Stoltenberg in Khaleej Times
We are concerned to catch krill in an environmentally sustainable way,Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg told Reuters during a visit to the Troll research station, 250 km inland where snow petrels nest under rocks.
- Sharman Stone in The Age
That krill - once it's harvested out of existence, you have lost the whale species anyway,Dr Stone said.
- St Brendan in Center for Biological Diversity (press release)
It is absurd and illegal that the Administration would authorize krill harvesting off Antarctica without even considering the well-documented impacts of global warming on krill stocks and the penguins,said Brendan Cummings, Director of the...