- n a fabric made by knitting
- n a basic knitting stitch
- n needlework created by interlacing yarn in a series of connected loops using straight eyeless needles or by machine
- v make (textiles) by knitting
knit a scarf
- v tie or link together
- v to gather something into small wrinkles or folds
- The textile industry has long depended on large machines for knitting such small items as stockings and sweaters, but the current boom in skin-tight stretch clothes has hatched far.
- Four million people, mostly women in their 20s and 30s, began knitting last year alone, according to the Craft Yarn Council of America.
- The knitting turned out to be part of Boston's tercentenary celebration and it commemorated a spinning contest held there 182 years ago which ended in a riot when some 600 .
News & Articles
- Pearisburg mother knits to honor memory of her son
“Knit one, pearl two” has never held so much meaning. It’s an action most knitters perform without thinking but will forever be connected to the heart of Janice Davis. As she goes through each day, Davis thinks of her son Mark Davis. She remembers his “jokester” personality, humble smile and home-centered mind-set. Janice Davis lost [...]
June 15, 2013 - Roanoke Times
- ‘Knit In Public Day’ Saturday at the Long Hill Library
LONG HILL TWP. — World Wide Knit in Public (WWKIP) Day will be celebrated from noon to 2 p.m., Saturday, June 15, at the Long Hill Library, Valley Road, Gillette.
June 14, 2013 - Echoes-Sentinel
- Happy Knits wants you to knit in public; Black Sheep Gathering coming up: Knitting events
The Naked Sheep Knit Shop turns 8 next month, and they have gifts to give!
June 14, 2013 - The Oregonian
- Fernando Alonso in SuperSport
I have decided to stay with the Renault F1 team because, as I have often repeated this season, they have always been my first choice and I feel very happy and comfortable with them, Alonso said in statement. "It's a very close-knit team...
- Elon Musk in San Jose Mercury News
We are withholding their identities as we work with the relevant authorities to notify the families,Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them. Tesla is a small, tightly knit company, and this is a...
- Michael Ignatieff in National Post
As we mourn the loss of these dedicated workers who perished on the job in this horrific accident, we know the close-knit communities of Newfoundland and Labrador grieve for those they have lost,Mr. Ignatieff said. "All Canadians join with...