- n small North American falcon
- n small Old World falcon that hovers in the air against a wind
- The lesser kestrel, a small red, black and gray bird of prey, is more hawk than dove.
- Every king had his eagles, every earl his peregrines, and even a knave might fly a kestrel.
- Afflicted with a moral numbness, he now hovers like a kestrel over scenes of potential folly.
- Alex Horne in Bridgwater Mercury
Horne said: "I am not a birdwatcher, but my dad is. He has been watching birds for as long as I have known him." "Whenever we were in the car or on family holidays, he'd knock frantically on the window if we passed a kestrel hovering above...