jackknife : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a large knife with one or more folding blades
- n a dive in which the diver bends to touch the ankles before straightening out
- v dive into the water bending the body at the waist at a right angle, like a jackknife
- Three cheers for the Italian girl who fought off her would-be attackers, killing one with a jackknife.
- When Georgia Coleman executes a swan-dive, front or back jackknife, gainer ("flying dutchman"), back-flip or somersault, she does it more efficiently than any other female in .
- Crouched at the bottom of the shaft, by its side a jackknife, a pair of work shoes, a few shreds of moldering cloth, lay a dusty skeleton.
- James Krenov in San Francisco Chronicle
From the time I was 6, I was making my own toys with the jackknife,says Krenov, 88. "It was a joy to me that I could rely on my hands and my eyes to produce things."