immunity : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the state of not being susceptible
- n (medicine) the condition in which an organism can resist disease
- n the quality of being unaffected by something
immunity to criticism
- n an act exempting someone
he was granted immunity from prosecution
- Does Anderson have a natural immunity to AIDS? Just a few years ago, the idea would have seemed absurd.
- The State Department may have offered some form of legal immunity to Blackwater contractors targeted in an investigation into the Sept.
- Transcript: PTI's Jay Branegan on the Monica Lewinsky immunity deal.
News & Articles
- Feds seek immunity for two witnesses in Whitey Bulger trial
Federal prosecutors are seeking immunity for two government witnesses against mobster James “Whitey” Bulger who they fear will otherwise take the Fifth if put on the witness stand. If U.S. District Court Judge Denise J. Casper grants immunity to Ralph DeMasi and Frank Capizi, they will be protected from prosecution for anything they testify to unless they perjure themselves, according to ...
June 19, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Researchers discover immunity mechanism: Platelets patrolling the bloodstream
Scientists have discovered a mechanism that is used to protect the body from harmful bacteria. Platelets, a component of blood typically associated with clotting, were discovered to actively search for specific bacteria, and upon detection, seal it off from the rest of the body. The findings provide the science community with a greater understanding of immunity.
June 19, 2013 - Science Daily
- Airline Immunity on Threat Reports Gets High Court Review
The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to use a case involving an Air Wisconsin pilot upset about losing his job to consider giving airlines broader immunity from lawsuits when they report potential security threats.
June 17, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Fred Fielding in DetNews.com
Ms. Miers has absolute immunity from compelled congressional testimony as to matters occurring while she was a senior adviser to the president,White House Counsel Fred Fielding wrote in a letter to Miers' attorney Tuesday, citing legal...
- Nouri al-Maliki in Kansas City Star
The aide said the al-Maliki government told the US Embassy, "We will draft and pass laws that would lift the immunity on these security companies to stop their reckless behavior."
- Ephraim Sneh in guardian.co.uk
Mr Sneh described the Hamas leadership as "terrorists in suits" and told the Associated Press: "We don't care if he's a ringleader, a perpetrator of rocket attacks or if he is one of the political leaders. No one has immunity."