- a lacking affinity for water; tending to repel and not absorb water; tending not to dissolve in or mix with or be wetted by water
- s abnormally afraid of water
- Called Hycrete, short for hydrophobic concrete, the substance is added to concrete before it dries.
- One end of each long molecule is hydrophobic or water-hating, the other is hydrophilic or water-loving.
- The day is just about gone when police used rubber hoses, explained a defendant's suspicious bruises by claiming that "he fell downstairs," or (in New Orleans) made hydrophobic .