hoity-toity : Definition, Usages, News and More
- From hoi polloi to hoity-toity Carter is not exactly a grand old English name.
- Equal parts hoity-toity, hoi polloi and Holly Golightly, irreverent enough to pair Yves Saint Laurent couture with thrift-store cast-offs, Sevigny is redefining .
- I suppose there is no class of men with so much concentrated snobbishness, lordy-dordy and hoity-toity as the officers on British liners.
News & Articles
- How To Social Climb (Without Being Social)
Credit: Noel Hendrickson/Getty Images Every guy wants to work his way up in society, whether it's to become more powerful or just hang out with beautiful models and professional athletes. But who the hell actually wants to go to the effort of making a fortune in order to schmooze with the hoity-toity? Still, a guy [...]
June 13, 2013 - MTV
- Jerry Maren in Clay Today Online
In effect, the WB [World Bank] is saying that the finance secretary and the Ombudsman are relevant authorities, but not the Senate. I [will] educate those hoity-toity WB lawyers that in the Philippines, a public hearing is a constitutionally... Miriam Defensor-Santiago http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Defensor_Santiago&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFWVDfyOooj_kT3lpvONSc9RkcXuQ Inquirer.net http://www.google.com/url?q=http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/nation/view/20090206-187823/WB-wont-give-Senate-road-mess-report&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFnchU6fw3DEKh7iuMsjdu_Suk21Q Feb 5, 2009
47597 64526 hoity-toity They always ask me, 'How was Dorothy?' I tell them she was an angel," Maren said. "You would expect a big movie star like that to be all hoity-toity but she was real nice."
- David Blight in Boston Globe (registration)
The idea of this former slave ending up in this hoity-toity town on the coast of Massachusetts at a house with a giant screened-in porch,Blight said. "Well, I could just imagine John Washington living and dying on that front porch."