harpoon : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a spear with a shaft and barbed point for throwing; used for catching large fish or whales; a strong line is attached to it
- v spear with a harpoon
- Japanese whalers are planning to harpoon up to 50 humpback whales for the first time since hunting the endangered species was banned in 1963.
- Both Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd say that they are prepared to "chase, block, and harass" any attempts by the whaling fleet to harpoon humpbacks.
- Without the explosive, the fin lingered on until the captain fired a second 'cold' harpoon into it and then, at last, an explosive harpoon.
News & Articles
- OUTDOORS: Can't use harpoon to land big halibut
Q uestion: Pacific halibut have become a sought-after sport fish out of Eureka and Trinidad. I have a question about landing large Pacific halibut, particularly in a relatively small boat. Many people use a type of harpoon with a head that comes off and is tethered to the boat. This prevents the fish from heading down while a rope is run through its gills for hauling it aboard. I was told that ...
June 12, 2013 - Modesto Bee
- WW II plane visits Kansas City
A World War II era Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon Navy bomber turned some heads as it landed at the downtown airport.
June 7, 2013 - KSHB-TV Kansas City
- In Concert
Harpoon harmonizers: "Songs of Summer," 7:30 p.m. June 8. With special guests, the G20 Chorus. Admission charge. Handicap accessible. Unitarian Memorial Church, 102 Green St., Fairhaven.
June 6, 2013 - The Standard-Times
- Peter Garrett in Reuters
It's very disappointing. It's distressing when you think that it can take up to 15 minutes after a harpoon actually hits a whale for the whale to die. It's even sadder when you consider there's a calf involved,Garrett told local television.
- Paul Watson in AFP
The Ady Gil will be our interceptor. It will be able to latch on to a harpoon boat and prevent it killing any whales,Watson told AFP. "It should be able to run rings around them."
- Britt Daniel in CMJ.com
Massachusetts started the small craft beer revolution, and we're proud of it. It's not all that long ago that pioneers like Jim Koch only dreamed of a day when people in Massachusetts would reach for a cold Sam's Summer, a Wachusett IPA, a Harpoon... John Kerry http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerry&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGeVo7lZZrVLxpZYOe1L2RWeIhupQ KATU http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.katu.com/news/business/97476824.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGcnLwKQrxPlCAsNqzfQo3bhC7pyg Jun 30, 2010
45663 62133 harpsichord Frontman Britt Daniel tells Billboard that the band is busy looking for instruments we've never played before. So far we have an electric harpsichord, a bunch of harmonicas and these weird Japanese instruments. We want [the new record] to be wild....