- n outgrown garment passed down from one person to another
- s passed on from one person to another
not too proud to wear hand-me-down clothes
- Today it is a gritty collection of cattle farms and dying towns living in a hand-me-down past.
- There he absorbed William James' challenge to test all hand-me-down truths against the pragmatic standards of experience and reason.
- Two weeks later, she was called back to Washington to testify in the open, her Coke-bottle glasses slipping down her nose, her circa-1985 hand-me-down plaid suit crying to be put .
News & Articles
- Can you hear me now?
The back of my pajama-clad roommate greets me from the kitchen as I shuffle my feet on our hand-me-down doormat. It’s after 9 p.m. and the apartment is quiet for a Tuesday night. “Hey, Robbie,” I ...
June 12, 2013 - The Argonaut
- Arnold Rampersad in Cleveland Plain Dealer
Afterward, Ellison, his mother and younger brother endured, Rampersad writes, "years of shabby rented rooms, hand-me-down clothing, second-rate meals, sneers and slights from people better off, and a pinched, scuffling way of life."
- Natalie MacMaster in Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
It's a hand-me-down tradition passed on through the community,MacMaster said. "You can be a great Cape Breton fiddler without ever having taken a lesson. It's a great, relaxed music that is full of feeling. Its focus is on feeling, not so...
- Roy Williams in New York Times
I'm not sure, that dude Boss is huge,Williams said, referring to his 6-foot-6, 253-pound stature. "Covering him is going to be interesting. He's no hand-me-down tight end. But you just got to answer to the call."