haiti : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a republic in the West Indies on the western part of the island of Hispaniola; achieved independence from France in 1804; the poorest and most illiterate nation in the western hemisphere
- n an island in the West Indies
News & Articles
- READER SUBMITTED: South Windsor Haiti School Group Looking For Help In Choosing A Movie
Got a favorite flick? You could watch it under the stars at Nevers Park this summer at the Music and a Movie in the Park fundraiser to help kids in Haiti attend school. Just visit http://www.southwindsorhaitischool.org and tell us what family movie you'd like us to show. That's where you can also find out more about the big fundraising event on August 10. Sponsored by South Windsor Haiti ...
June 17, 2013 - FOX CT Hartford
- Haiti close to eliminating lymphatic filariasis - June 15, 2013 - Press Release
Haiti’s public health experts are one step closer to completely ridding its population of a disease that has long plagued the country. For the first time, millions of Haitians are now protected from the infectious, parasitic disease called lymphatic filariasis (LF).
June 14, 2013 - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Haiti Moves A Step Closer Toward Eradicating Elephantiasis
Despite the daunting health challenges Haiti faces, the country has achieved a major step toward eliminating the parasitic infection, which causes severe swelling of the legs. Haiti is on track to wipe out the disease within four years, scientists say.
June 13, 2013 - NPR
- Barack Obama in Reuters
To the people of Haiti, we say clearly and with conviction, you will not be forsaken. You will not be forgotten. In this, your hour of greatest need, America stands with you. The world stands with you,Obama said.
- Wyclef Jean in FOXNews
Haiti faced a natural disaster of unprecedented proportion, an earthquake unlike anything the country has ever experienced,Jean said in a statement. "I cannot stress enough what a human disaster this is, and idle hands will only make this...
- Pat Robertson in Politics Daily (blog)
Something happened a long time ago in Haiti,Robertson said. "People might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, uh, you know, Napoleon the third and whatever . . . and they got together and swore a pact to the...