guinea : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a former British gold coin worth 21 shillings
- n (ethnic slur) offensive term for a person of Italian descent
- n a republic in western Africa on the Atlantic; formerly a French colony; achieved independence from France in 1958
- n a west African bird having dark plumage mottled with white; native to Africa but raised for food in many parts of the world
- A guinea worm was emerging from the nipple, causing her a fiery agony as it migrated through her body.
News & Articles
- Guinea says production date for Simandou will be missed
By Clara Ferreira-Marques LONDON (Reuters) - Guinea's mines minister said on Wednesday an estimated 2015 first production date for the portion of the Simandou iron ore deposit held by Rio Tinto would not be met. "In 2011, the first date of production agreed with Rio was 2015. Today, the reality is this cannot be respected," Mines Minister Mohamed Lamine Fofana said. He said Guinea was in "open ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Guinea's opposition may agree to election
CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — After weeks of violent clashes, Guinea's ruling party and opposition succeeded in drafting a framework which might allow the country to move forward with much-delayed legislative elections, according to the international mediator brought in to help bridge the chasm between the two sides.
June 10, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Guinea's opposition may agree to election - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports
CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) - The international mediator charged with trying to find a solution to the impasse which has prevented Guinea from holding legislative elections announced over the weekend that the country's opposition will agree to go to the poll if a list of conditions is met.
June 10, 2013 - Quincy Herald-Whig
- Jimmy Carter in FOXNews
Our record on Guinea worm for the last few years has been steadily and rapidly downward,Carter said.
- Frederick Forsyth in Independent
Forsyth said he came here for "the flavour, the odour, of a pretty washed-up, impoverished, failed west African mangrove swamp". "I thought, what is the most disastrous part of west Africa, and by a mile, it's Guinea-Bissau. If you drive...
- Nino Vieira in BBC News
In a televised address to the nation on Sunday, Mr Vieira said: "These people attacked my residence with a single objective - to physically liquidate me." "No-one has the right to massacre the people of Guinea-Bissau in order to steal power...