- n (ethnic slur) offensive term for a person of Italian descent
- Boroff is not sanguine about the "Brother Rat mentality" at Annapolis, where foreign language study (a first-rate department) is known as "dago," and the catch-all department of .
- While the state has always cast a cold eye toward entries that use nasty ethnic or sexual terms, more than 300 tags with variations of the words dago and wop slipped through.
- Some immigrants find the bland phrase "New Australian" as offensive as the "dago" and "hunky" it was designed to replace.
News & Articles
- Food truck owners cry foul after getting booted from track
Tuesday July 23, 2013 CAITLIN MORRIS The Troy Record SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. -- After months of planning for their summer season at Saratoga Race Course, the owners of the Wandering Dago food truck received a phone call from a New York Racing Association official late Friday evening, who told them their food truck had to be out of the racetrack before it opened Saturday.
July 23, 2013 - Bennington Banner
- Summertime, and the reading is easy
Readers recommended a lot of genre fiction, such as Orson Scott Card's sci-fi tale "Ender's Game," which Pamela Townsend points out will be a movie (slated to be released Nov. 1). Steve Barnes' story about a food truck that had a contract to operate at Saratoga Race Course but was told to leave because of its name — Wandering Dago — has been heating up social media. Most comments fall into one ...
July 23, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Food truck banned from Saratoga Race Course after complaints over name
Wandering Dago on Twitter A food truck business named Wandering Dago has been banned from Saratoga Race Course after customers complained that the name of the business was offensive, according to New York Racing officials. Brandon Snooks and Andrea Loguidice, co-owners of the Schenectady-based business, told local media outlets that...
July 22, 2013 - New York Post
- Lenny Bruce in CounterPunch
In a Los Angeles Times op-ed, civil rights attorney Constance Rice sounding somewhat like Lenny Bruce, wrote, "But rest assured, the Imus crew has plenty of kike, wetback, mick, spick, dago, Jap, Chink, redneck and unprintable Catholic priest jokes...
- Allie Reynolds in The National Sports Review
After the season I said I was going back to the reservation, and I told him to go back to Dago Hill in St. Louis,Reynolds said years later.
- Phil Cavarretta in Chicago Sun-Times
Like a dumb dago, I told the truth in a meeting with my owner,Cavarretta said. "I was raised that way. My dad would always say: 'Tell the people the truth. Tell them what's on your mind.' I told the truth to Mr. Wrigley and got fired."