- n the short low gruff noise of the kind made by hogs
- n an unskilled or low-ranking soldier or other worker
infantrymen in Vietnam were called grunts
he went from grunt to chairman in six years
- n medium-sized tropical marine food fishes that utter grunting sounds when caught
- v issue a grunting, low, animal-like noise
He grunted his reluctant approval
- Come fall, bulldozers will grunt across the grounds, toppling the tall cypresses and pepperwoods.
- Rather than continue as the wealthy rock-poet of the American grunt and risk being labeled inauthentic, Springsteen set out for new territory.
- Fortnight ago ex-King Amanullah grunted and sweated on a Kandahar platform doing a cloak box trick to show his people that he was worthy to be their King (PTI, May 27).
News & Articles
- Catchers Gibson, Crain help Louisville reach CWS
Kyle Gibson and Shane Crain are fine with Louisville's pitchers getting the glory right now because it's a reflection of their grunt work behind the plate for the Cardinals.
June 11, 2013 - KFVS 12 Cape Girardeau
- Versatile Amarillo Venom 'Truck' drives road to TDs
Amarillo Venom player James Smith had long done grunt work to help his teams win games, so much so he earned the nickname "Truck" from his coaches and teammates, but he was rarely the focus of the celebration.
June 8, 2013 - Amarillo Globe-News
- Sharapova and Azarenka Get Ready to Rumble
Sparks will be flying and the grunt-o-metre will be working overtime when French Open holder Maria Sharapova comes face-to-face with Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka in the Roland Garros semi-finals on Thursday.
June 5, 2013 - New York Times
- Brady Quinn in Washington Post
It's kind of still a little bit surreal,Quinn said. "And I'm just caught up in all the grunt work and everything I feel I need to do for each game."
- Martina Navratilova in NEWS.com.au
Navratilova said: "I remember how it was when Monica (Seles) and I were competitors and she began to grunt. I couldn't hear the ball. I thought to myself, 'Do I mention it to the umpire, do I say something to her? What should I do?' And Monica was a...
- Eddie Jordan in Seattle Post Intelligencer
We made the runs that we had to make to get the cushion and fight a team that can make threes,Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said. "We did enough grunt work to build a cushion and we made mistakes, but we held on."